On 1st September 1819 a piece of ground was assigned at Semington for "the purpose of building a chapel" and a licence was granted on 26th April 1819. The Wesleyan Committee in Manchester granted consent for the erection of a chapel and vestry, and work was commenced on the original Wesleyan Methodist Chapel building at Semington in 1884 at a cost of £301 on the strict instruction that the cost should not exceed this figure!
Worship continued in the tradition of the Methodist Church until 13th September 1981 and the building was sold on 23rd September that same year for conversion to a private dwelling house. The remaining congregation joined with the Anglican Church at St. George's in Semington at an inaugural service on 27th September 1981.
A local, formal Sharing Agreement (Anglican/Methodist) was applied - an L.E.P - which remains flexible, dealt with by a joint P.C.C.
The picture on the left shows the Semington Methodist Chapel building, circa 1910.
The picture to the right is the interior just before closure in 1981.
Click HERE for more pictures
Location:On entering Semington from roundabout (A361 Trowbridge/Devizes) proceed downhill taking 1st right into
Minister:A ministerial team arrangement between the Anglican vicar, Revd Stephen Ball and the appointee at Wesley Road Methodist Church, Revd. Simon Edwards
Times of Services:- 9.15 am and 6.00 pm
Methodist service on second Sundays of January (Covenant), March, May, July, September and November (Remembrance)