The Congregational Church in Westbury was founded by the Reverend Philip Hunton, who on 24 August 1662 was the vicar of All Saints Parish Church. Because of his refusal to sign the Act of Uniformity he was ejected from that living and later walked up the road and became the first Pastor of the church. It is thought that the first Meeting House was built around 1693. This property was destroyed by fire on 18 July 1711. Legend has it that it was members of All Saints Parish Church who deliberately set fire to the Meeting House. Undaunted by such a catastrophe the members rallied together and within a month the foundation stone was laid for the second Meeting House. The cost was partly offset by the sale of land bequeathed by the Reverend Philip Hunton.
On 25 September 1751 the Reverend John Meylett was appointed Minister. He had decided views on the abolition of slavery. It is thought that some of the wealthy members of the church had interests in sugar plantations and did not appreciate the Minister’s views. This led to a break away and the formation of the Upper Meeting House. The two Congregational Churches were re-united on 8 May 1940. In 1972 the Congregational churches joined with the Presbyterian churches to become the United Reformed Church. The church building has been refurbished over the years and in 2000 the hall was enlarged.
The church is located at:
From Warminster road turn left into Hospital Road, then bear left along The Butts. There is an entrance just along the road on the left hand side which leads to the Church car park. As the church is on the A350 that post code does not help with parking the car which is at the rear of the church! The hall/parking post code is BA13 3EU, for the benefit of satnav users!
Services are held two or three times each month on Sunday mornings at 1100 am. Full details can be found below as well as in the Area Preaching Plan.
|June 12||Rev. T. Lewis||Holy Communion|
|June 19||Mr. A. Ingram|
|June 26||Mr A. Ingram|
|July 10||Rev. T. Lewis|
|July 17||Mrs F. Halsall|
|July 24||Mr A. Ingram||Holy Communion|
|July 31||Sector Service at Warminster United Church||NOTE Starts at 10.30|
|August 14||Rev. M. Davies|
|August 21||Mrs H. Herring|
|August 28||Mr. A. Ingram||Holy Communion|
Saturday Coffee Mornings are a regular treat. Money raised goes to various charities.
Dates and Charities supported as below
Feb 5 Send a Cow
March 5 TEAR Fund
April 2 Westbury Food Bank
May 7 Julia’s House
June 11 SPLITZ
July 2 TEAR FUND
Aug 6 Dorothy House
Sept 3 SPLITZ
Oct 1 TEAR Fund
Nov 5 Presents for Children
Dec 3 Church Funds
June 2 and 3 are the days of the Platinum Jubilee. Date of coffee morning 11 June
The Church also supports Westbury Food Bank collecting non-perishable goods and delivering them to the foodbank.
Using the money collected at the November coffee morning children’s presents are bought and wrapped for the town collection.
The Hall is used by various local groups including U3A and Westbury Lions
|Minister||There is currently an Area Ministerial vacancy for the pastoral responsibility for Westbury URC, Westbury Methodist, Warminster United and Steeple Ashton|
|Elders||Mrs. Priscilla Gray, Mrs. Hilary Herring, Mr. Alan Ingram (Treasurer), Mrs. Maggie Skyrme, |
and Mrs. Fiona Halsall