United Reformed Church/Methodist Church
The first Tabernacle Congregational Church was built in Church Street and formally opened on 20th November 1771. In 1785 the chapel was enlarged by the erection of a gallery for the accommodation of the Sunday School. In 1835 the whole chapel was rebuilt from the level of the pews and side galleries were erected. In 1842 Sunday School buildings were erected.
The original Tabernacle Church was now too small for the congregation, so it was decided to enlarge the church building. However, the foundations were found to be in a poor state and so the decision was made to build a completely new church on the same site. The foundation stone was laid in 1882, with the church being opened with many celebrations in 1884.
In 1968 the congregation of the Manvers Street Methodist Church joined with the Congregational members in the Tabernacle Church, now renamed the United Church.
In 1972 the Congregational Union of England and Wales united with the Presbyterian Church in England and Wales to form the United Reformed Church, which means the United Church is a local Wiltshire union of the Methodist Church and The United Reformed Church (URC).
The church, and extensive ancillary buildings, is Grand II Listed and required ongoing maintenance at no small cost. This meant that ministering to the congregation was sometimes not the top priority.
It was after much soul-searching and sadness that the decision was made in November 2015 to hand the site back to the URC South Western Synod. Finally moving out of the building in May 2016, the members regained their hope in the future for United Church.
Services now take place in a community building on the edge of Trowbridge Park. The church offices are situated in Stallard Street which is also the home of the Trowbridge Debt Advice Service.
The church is located at:
|56 Stallard Street|
|Tel: 01225 938689|
Very close to the Park Club there is parking, free on a Sunday, in St Stephen’s Place car park, postcode BA14 8AH.
Access to the car park is from County Way A361. Follow the signs for the Leisure Complex and the multi storey car park is on the left.
Walk from the car park past the children’s play area and the war memorial which are to your right. The Park Club is a single storey brick building on your left.
Times of services
Our Church meets at 10:30am every Sunday.
This is the minister, Revd Tracey Lewis
She can be contacted at email@example.com or on 01225 759170
Other key people
|Minister with Pastoral Care||Revd Tracey Lewis|
|Church Secretary||Mr Clive Jackson|
|Treasurer||Mrs Lesley Chapman|